Saturday, November 8, 2014

It's All About the Personalities



 I’ve been away from here for a while working on books. After sending in the manuscript for my fourth book last month, I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the characters I have interviewed and discussed while doing the research. I’m not really a numbers guy. Yea, numbers are important, but for me the real interest is in the personalities of the players. What were the guys really like? How did the personality of a player, and the mixture of personalities on the team, contribute to their triumphs and failures? And what was it in their early years that contributed to the well-known public personas later? In researching my books, I have interviewed more than 100 former major league players. Some of the best stuff in our conversations never completely made it into the books as they were a bit off topic—those pesky editors are always looking for things to slash. In the next few months I hope to prowl through my notes and post topics of interest.





                                          Me and former Astros, Reds and Tigers pitcher Jack Billingham

No comments:

Post a Comment